Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nutshell - Weight Watchers Program

For more information go to www.weightwatchers.com

Weight Watchers is a portion control / low calorie / low fat type program. It stresses the importance of making personal choices and accountability in making a lifestyle change through behavior modification type techniques. The basic diet today focuses on “Flex Points” rather than entirely on calories or fat grams, as it did in the past.

The behavior modification techniques include such concepts as journaling or recording all your food, creating a visualization of what is a portion size (i.e., a deck of cards equals one serving of meat, ½ of a tennis ball equals one serving of rice) and attending weekly meetings. These meetings consist of a weigh-in, a lecture or motivational discussion and an open forum for celebrations of losses or reaching goals and a discussion on any problems people may have or discoveries of things that worked for them. There is also an “on-line” version of WW called “Weight Watcher’s at Home” that you can join on at their website: http://www.weightwatchers.com. A number of separate websites founded by people who have been successful on WW provide a lot of information, support, and some great forums. Two that are well known are Dottie’s Weight Loss Zone: http://www.dwlz.com/ and Boot Camp Buddies: http://www.healthdiscovery.net/. These two sites also give a summary of each week’s meeting topics, which is particularly useful.

The “Flex Points” program: You are assigned a range of points to eat in a given day based on your current weight. You are also allocated 35 additional points that are yours to eat however you chose during the week. This was the major change to the past version when your points range was 5 points higher each day (5 x 7 = 35). Each food item is assigned a point value based on portion size and a combination of calories, fat and fiber. The basic formula is: (calories/50)-(fiber/5)+(fat/12) This sounds confusing, but just plug it into Excel and you won’t have much of a problem. If you faithfully journal your food and points for the first month to six weeks, you will have a good reference for the point values of most foods you eat on a regular basis. Dottie’s has a great reference section on point values of many foods. You may also be able to find a “Points Finder” for sale on e-bay. Of course, if you join a local or an on-line meeting, you will receive this and a lot of other useful tools.

A couple of examples of calculating point values: an 8 oz carton of Non-fat light vanilla yogurt has 110 calories, 0 grams of fat and 0 grams of fiber. (110/50) – (0/5) + (0/12) = 2.2 points. (Note: WW usually only counts by half points, so this would be 2 points). A ½ c serving of black beans has 100 calories, 0.5 grams of fat and 7 grams of fiber. An important note on fiber – you can only count up to 4 grams of fiber in your calculations. So, for this example it would be (100/50) – (0.5/5) + (4/12) = 2.2. Finally, a 1.5 oz serving of pretzels (brands may vary – this is Snyder’s of Hanover “Snaps”) has 170 calories, 1 gram of fat and 1 gram of fiber so it has 3.3 points. I would probably go a head and round up to 3.5 points.

Points Ranges: Points are based on your weigh today and are as follows. The first column is your current weight and the second is the minimum number of points you should consume each day. Do not assume if you eat less you will lose more, as this is not true and dangerous for good health. The point values do not include the additional 35 points to spread as you like through the week or any activity points you may earn for the day (see next section).

000 – 149 20
    150 – 174 22
    175 – 199 24
    200 – 224 26
    225 – 249 28
    250 – 274 30
    275 – 299 31
    300 – 324 32
    325 – 349 33
    350 – 999 34

Activity Points (big thanks to Dottie’s Weight Loss Zone for this): WW, suggests you to “move aerobically” at least 30 minutes a day. Anything over 30 minutes allows you to earn “activity points” which you can use in addition to your regular amount. Activity points earned must be used on the same day they are earned, if they are used at all. Activity points are calculated using the following formulas.

Activity points for light intensity = [your weight] x [minutes] x 0.00023
    Activity points for moderate intensity = [your weight] x [minutes] x 0.00033
    Activity points for high intensity = [your weight] x [minutes] x 0.00081

Light intensity is described as being able to talk and sing, with regular breathing and no sweating. Examples of light intensity activities are leisurely walking or biking. Moderate intensity is described as being able to talk but not sing, with deep breathing and sweating after 10 minutes. Examples of moderate intensity activities are brisk walking or brisk biking. High intensity is described as being able to only talk briefly, with rapid deep breathing and sweating after 3-5 minutes. Examples of high intensity activities are running or competitive cycling.

I would assume the Curves workout to be 30 minutes of moderate activity. So, for a 200 lb woman this would equal 200 x 30 x 0.00033 = 2 points, for a 150 lb woman this would equal 150 x 30 x 0.00033 = 1.5 points.

Phases: There are two phases to WW – the losing phase and the maintenance phase. Everything above is for the losing phase. After you have reached your goal, there is a six week period where you will work with your leader to determine how many points you can eat without gaining weight. After you have reached your goal and gone through maintenance training, you are a “lifetime” member and no longer have to pay for meetings as long as you stay within 2 pounds of your goal. You are required to weigh-in at meetings at least monthly, but may attend as many sessions as you wish.

Edited 02-10-06 by Nellie:

In 2004/2005 the Core, No Counting Plan was introduced to Weight Watchers, to complement the FlexPoints plan.

On the Core Plan focus on wholesome foods without counting…

• Eat wholesome foods from all the food groups, including fruits and vegetables, grains and starches, lean meats and poultry, eggs and dairy products.
    • Enjoy satisfying eating without empty calories.
    • Have the occasional treat in controlled amounts.
    From: http://www.weightwatchers.ca/plan/turnaround/index.aspx

More information to come.

dip/shrug

A site

Hi,
    I need to know if there is still a site where you can go and check the points for local resturants. I use to go there. It was really neat to help when you ate out.
    I live in West Chester, Ohio subub of Cincinnati, Ohio.

msbbott987 at aol dot com

Thanks

Hi Mabel,

First off, I edited your post so that spam bots can't pick up your email address. So, if you want to email her, replace 'at' with @ and 'dot' with .

Secondly, there's a site called Dotti's Weight Loss Zone - it doesn't *just* have restaurants, and they're not by location, but here's the site: http://www.dwlz.com
    CurvesForum Moderator

Results

Loss (5.2 lbs)
    Start |-------------------------------------------------------------| Goal

Smile weight watchers related website

I don't know how if this site has restuarants that are considered local to you but you can ck it out http://healthdiscovery.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Mabel Ann
    Hi,
    I need to know if there is still a site where you can go and check the points for local resturants. I use to go there. It was really neat to help when you ate out.
    I live in West Chester, Ohio subub of Cincinnati, Ohio.

msbbott987 at aol dot com

Thanks

Also dottisweightlosszone.com has a large list of restaurants w/ points!
    Feel free to visit my WW food journal: http://www.curvesforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8780

FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!

Start weight: 167.5 (1/10/05)
    Current weight: 149
    Goal Weight: 130
    18.5 pounds & 19.5 inches gone forever!

Quote Originally Posted by PugLover
    Also dottisweightlosszone.com has a large list of restaurants w/ points!
    , I think Nellie provided a link just above.

Oops, lol! Don't mind me!
    Feel free to visit my WW food journal: http://www.curvesforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8780

FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!

Start weight: 167.5 (1/10/05)
    Current weight: 149
    Goal Weight: 130
    18.5 pounds & 19.5 inches gone forever!

shoulder press/lat pull the_jem's Avatar

ww australia

for a bit of a change, check out the ww australia website, www.weightwatchers.com.au same great principle!!!

also another good recipe website along the same lines is www.symplytoogood.com.au

cheers
    julie from down under

Any volunteers to write up a summary description of the new Core program and any other WW updates, newer information than in the initial post of this thread?

The Curves program works ... when I do my part!

Will Power - Use it or lose it!

WW 8 Healthy Guidelines

1. Eat at least 5 servings of vegetables and fruits each day.
    2. Choose whole grain-foods, such as brown rice and oats, whenever possible.
    3. Include 2 servings of milk products (low fat or fat free) each day. If you are more than 50 years old or are a teenager, increase to 3 servings per day.
    4. Have some healthy oil (olive, canola, sunflower, safflower, or flaxseed) every day. Use the oil in cooking, on salads, or as an ingredient in a mixed dish.
    5. Choose at least a serving or two of meat, poultry, fish, eggs, dried beans, or soy products each day.
    6. Limit added sugar and alcohol.
    7. Drink at least 6 glasses of water each day.
    8. Take a multiple vitamin-mineral supplement each day.

Thread Information