Thread: Would it be o.k. to use resistance bands and lift weights on off days?

Smile Would it be o.k. to use resistance bands and lift weights on off days?

In addition to walking on my Off days I was thinking about doing some strength training with 3 lb weights mostly for my upper body and using resistance bands. Does this sound alright or should I just stick to walking?
    A friend of mine goes to Curves 3x a week and does low impact aerobics and exercise ball on her Off days. Is that o.k.?
    Thanks
    Karen

Quote Originally Posted by Momof6 View Post
    In addition to walking on my Off days I was thinking about doing some strength training with 3 lb weights mostly for my upper body and using resistance bands. Does this sound alright or should I just stick to walking?
    A friend of mine goes to Curves 3x a week and does low impact aerobics and exercise ball on her Off days. Is that o.k.?
    Thanks
    Karen
    Hi Karen,
    Your friend is okay!

Your plan sounds good, but I would stick with walking or other aerobic exercise on your off days. If you want to add light weight training, do it on the same day as Curves. Since Curves is weight training in a sense (with resistance instead of dumbbells) you want to give your muscles a day off to repair and recover.
    So, my advice would be to add 15 minutes or so of weight training on your Curves days. You can always add the exercise ball or work up to aerobics on your off days. (and you can increase your weight workout as you become stronger, too.)
    It's tempting to increase the exercise, and really, as you become fitter and stronger, you can and should challenge yourself. But always try to leave a day off between working weights. That's why Curves is done every other day - so your body can repair those muscles and increase your strength.

Have fun!!!
    bonjonbart

Thanks for the wise words!! (: I think I'll stick with my walking for now & as I get stronger through the Curves workouts, I may do some exercise ball stuff on my off days. I used to go to an exercise ball class a few years back and yoga and I enjoyed both!
    Only thing is I can't remember the ball exercises !! But I'm sure I can find some on the internet (:

ab/back
    Thanks for the good info in this thread. I've picked up a light pair of weights, and was planning on using them on my off days. Now I know better. 8]

Thread Information