Thread: Lessons Learned.....

Cardio is the name of the game!!! fitmomof8's Avatar

Lessons Learned.....

As i truly seem to be having a frustratingly rough go of this maintaining thing, I decided (as i have done once before) to look back at past food journals (i keep written journals as well as the one on line) to see what i was doing differently. The truth speaks volumes! Here it is, basically- changes that have to be RE-INTRODUCED and keep on with what WORKS!
    1. more protein at meals!
    2. No evening snacking. At all! Just my daily metamucil in water--and though i did have melted chips once or twice a week-----that may be okay for me in a few weeks.
    3. Oatmeal @ breakfast! It has stabilized my weight going back to 2005. A must at least 3x weekly.
    3. A ww bagel (scooped out) works. I have been avoiding it in the past few months---but it was a regular Sunday morning breakfast, with a huge salad & tuna in the past. It works.
    4. I noticed that i really measured out my portions carefully (especially with pastas, whole wheat in excess is not so great...) even with Bran Flakes cereals------i still need to measure out amts.
    5. Continue with lotsa water, fruit, salads-------it has worked in the past. And it still works for me now.
    6. Avoid ultra- salty foods-----even lo carb chips have tons of salt. It bloats me like crazy!
    7. Wear clothing with zip up waists--not elastic ones! How my clothing fits is a best guide to where i am at in this game.
    8. Keep up with the added cardio------but not to the extent where i am wiped out by 4pm
    9. Enjoy food! IN MODERATION.......
    If you can imagine it, you can achieve it. If you can dream it, you can become it...

Personal Goals.... Work my way back to a range of 140- 145 pounds and MAINTAIN!!!!!

Update: (After all a full month has gone by.....) It has been a very busy month--kids coming and going, grands in and out--meals on the fly....so maintaining has been trickier than ever. Exercise is my one major accomplishment. no matter how bad the day's eating goes (and it has been calorie laden on some days, especially busy weekends) I have gotten in at least 45 minutes of varied exercises at least 5 days a week. i have grown fond of going to Curves early in the day and then walking 2 miles at the beach boardwalk a few hours later. Due to the heat wave up here in NY i have to limit my outdoor activity to early in the day or evening (i.e.- walks with DH and little DD). Weight is up and down, hormones swinging wildly as i wind down to age 51 (or perhaps wind up????). But i am proud of my committment to exercise, even when all else seems outa control. Weight this week is kinda in the middle of my range. Dunno if below 140 in the cards for me at all.........but i am back to calorie counting, eating 3 fruits a day, 3-4 vegie servings and 3 servings of good carbs (whole wheat). Adding the fiber drink @ 30 calories is very good for late afternoon munchies as well. So, that is the latest from the front lines of this journey/battle. Onward i march!
    If you can imagine it, you can achieve it. If you can dream it, you can become it...

Personal Goals.... Work my way back to a range of 140- 145 pounds and MAINTAIN!!!!!

Omigosh! I love the original posting I came up with here!!!! Even thought I posted this three yrs ago, I am re-energized and motivated just reading my very own advice!!!!!! Away we go....

Goooo Fitmom! This has even inspired me to start on my food journal again. I keep forgetting it

Stick with what works for you. If this is YOUR plan, don't let anyone try to change it. Our bodies are unique and react differently to the same things. Go, Fitmom, go!
    Sometimes we need to find inspiration. You found yours within yourself.
    bonjonbart

Thread Information