Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Share your Stories

Staying away from Georgia. Inked's Avatar

Share your Stories

I saw the thread started by less is more in the less to lose forum, and I decided to make a simular thread in the more to lose forum.

This is going to be like the one in the less to lose forum, share your stories, struggles with weightloss, anything to motivate others to fit into that bikini this summer, that nice dress you saw at JC Pennys, make your doctors or nutritionists proud.

With me, Ive always been fat, overwieght, pudgy, fluffy, ...whatever, mainly because I was raised with atrocious eating habits, and that carryed on into my early adolescent years.

I lost a bunch of wieght in gym class - highschool, and started eating healthy again, but after gym ended did so did my eating healthy, and exercise.

So I always assumed I weighed 250 and blocked the possibility that I was gaining wieght, which was rediculous because Id tell myself my clothes were shrinking or that seconds couldnt hurt.
    And everyone chastises the fat kids in highschool, you either have friends denying your that fat, or you have girls gossiping about your wieght behind your back, not to mention some guys that snicker or make a huge deal out of your appearance.

So January enough was enough, signed up for Curves, and I havent looked back since then.
    Once you relearn how to portion, eat healthy, you just gotta tell yourself theres no going back (esp for seconds ahah) and that your improving your health with each pound lost.

My half goal is 250 by the end of the summer, and then its next to 180, and then from there its 150.

Anybody feel me on this?
    Whats your story?
    "You say you want revolution, well, we all wanna change the world."

I can make my goal!

197-------180--------------170

Push forward

my story

ok here it goes. Im 25 and have two kids, since about 5th grade I've always been overweight. i was always pretty active I played sports and took dance lessons for about 12 years but never semmed to lose any weight. In high school my mom became pregnant with my 2nd sisiter and got sick and was put on bed rest for the last 5 months of pregnancy so i took on the roll as mom.I lost about 20lbs at that time and was down to about a size 12ish. But buy the end of highschool i moved out and was to a size 18 before I knew it. then I became pregnant and kept gaining. After i had my second som I was at my highest weight 280 and decided to try to lose weight on my own in about 18 months I got down to 210 and was excited but then i stared to gain again. After christmas I was back to 218 so i decided to join curves and try harder this time. Now i've been a member at curves for four months and have lost 19 inches and 7lbs. But when i recently weighed myself I have put 5lbs back on Im ready to give up I can;t see myself reaching any of my goals. soo thats my story so far

current weight---------------- 217
    when i joined curves-----------218
    lowest weighin at curves------212
    my !st goal was to be 199 by june 5th but imso not making that one so my new goal I guess can be 199 by my birthday 11/17

Well, as far as my story goes, you can read that in the journals section. The short of it is, I"m 51 years old, divorced, have a 14 year old daughter, and am a professional social worker.

I've been overweight all my life. Poor eating habits (growing up with "eat, the children in Europe are starving") post WWII thinking was probably the thinking behind it. Being chubby meant that you were healthy. And growing up, girls did NOT exercise or play sports. That was for boys. I learned to cook, to knit and crochet, I learned to play piano, and heavens yes, I learned to darn socks.

Of course, then came the late 60's and we burned our bras, and danced in the streets. We learned how to tie dye shirts, and batik bedspreads, we cooked organic brown rice and baked brownies. But Jerry Garcia was fat too.

When I married, I weighed 210, I think. That was in 1990. I slowly gained weight, and right before I got pregnant with my daughter, I weighed about 250. And it crept up more and more until June 2005 when I started to change my eating habits.

I've lost 65 pounds.

These past 6 months I've had my weight loss on hold, over some really difficult issues at home, and have been happy with maintaining my weight loss (something I've never done before !) and am quite proud to say that the life style changes I made have made that maintance of my weight loss easy. I feel pretty good about that. Being under huge stress, and being able to keep the weight from creeping back is big.

Soon enough I'll be back on the weight loss track. Oh, I started my new healthy habits at 304 pounds, and now weigh about 240.

stretching
    My story is that I'm 32 I have been an overweight child since I was 12. I have known my Dh since I was 16 and he was 18. I was overweight then a size 18. When I graduated from school and went to college I was a size 22/24. I was never really concerned about my weight until I got pregnant with our son in 95 I weighed 230 at the time, during my pregnancy everything went well even lost 30 pounds so during my whole pregnancy I lost and gained 30 pounds, so after I had our DS I lost even more going under 200 I looked great (i even kept my D.L. because the picture was great). over the next 11 years the weight just starting creeping up til last summer I went to the Strawberry Festival with my DS and DH and was at one of those booths that tell you how much you weigh on each planet I stepped on and it started and when it got to earth I was flabbergasted 316lbs I cried during the whole festival finally when we got home I was determined I was going to count cals and fat and I dug into my closet for my WATW tapes. I lost from June to Sept/06 the 16 pounds just counting cals and fat and walking. I joined Curves 6 week diet class in late Sept and lost about ten more during the class. The holidays came and left me with the ten back. Since joining this forum I have found the encouragement to keep going I have lost almost the ten pounds again wooo hooo for me!!!

my #1 mini goal be 275 by Aug before vacation, #2 mini goal 230 by Christmas, and long term goal to be 100lbs down by April 2008

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post

Soon enough I'll be back on the weight loss track. Oh, I started my new healthy habits at 304 pounds, and now weigh about 240.
    Cool, I can diffently relate to that. I stopped short and reversed - it would be great if I could make 240 eventually.

I can make my goal!

Push forward

My story... I was always very active as a child and not overweight through highschool. I went away to college and towards the end of my first year, I realized that none of my clothes fit and that I had a hard time finding clothes to even buy that would fit. (before I realized "Womans sizing"). I also started having other health problems and went to the doctor. I found out that in the course of about 5 months, I had gained about 60 pounds, had hormones way out of wack, and was looking at quite a few other strange issues.

Five years ago, I had lost 30 pounds, and around the same time went through the divorce from my husband of 7 years. I've gained back those 30, plus a few more. I got to what is likely my highest weight last year, around 275-280... and realized that I can't do this anymore, I joined Curves.

Fast-forward today, and some of my health problems have been diagnosed and are under control, but my metabolism and ability to easily lose weight has never returned. I try to go to Curves when I can, try to walk at home or do other things. I keep track of what I eat and the weight is very very slowly coming off. But at least it is going...

For short-term motivation, I bought a beautiful blue silk dress to wear to a wedding in August that is a little too tight right now. My goal is to get toned enough that it fits me well by that date.

It's a mindset for life to eat better and get exercise in, and sometimes I struggle with that... but it can be done. The wonderful ladies here have shown me that!
    January's progress
    1/8: 274

The day I got married in 1995, one month past my 18th birthday, I weighed 130 pounds. I had never been heavy, but I wasn't super thin either.

Fast forward 12 years, 2 kids, and one divorce later and I topped out at my heaviest weight of 217 pounds. With both pregnancies I put on a minimum of 45 pounds, and years of depression in a failing marriage didn't help me shed any of it.

I remember being pregnant with my second child and chanting at my 8 month appointment "please don't let me break 200, please don't let me break 200". I went home and cried after seeing the scale hit 203. I resigned myself to being fat for the rest of my life.

Then the health problems started to sneak in one by one. Hip pain, back pain, inability to walk long stretches, shortness of breath. I couldn't even tie my shoes without catching my breath in between. The last straw was when I went to buy some new pants and couldn't find anything to fit. Being a 5'1" size 20 certainly can make you feel like some sort of mutant. I finally found a couple pair of pants at a place called The Dress Barn. That was enough.

I want to wear normal clothes. I want to take a picture with my family and not be the fattest one in the shot.

So I joined Curves on 3/9/07. Along with Curves I've gone on a journey of learning and self discovery while I've modified my eating habits and confronted some deep seated destructive tendencies. Two weeks ago I added a personal trainer and I now work out six days a week. I feel good, I feel happier, and I'm down more than 20 pounds.

My short term goal is to hit 185 by my birthday on July 22. My long term goal is to hit 130lbs again.

All of you have some very impressive struggles with wieght gain and wieght loss, and then gain again.

Its wierd because you dont think your being that unhealthy with your eating habits until you break a new record on the scale.

And buying clothes too, before I joined Curves I loathed shopping, Esp when my older sister goes along, and can fit into just about anything, while I had to settle for the plus size section.

Not anymore.

I can make my goal!

Push forward

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post

I've been overweight all my life. Poor eating habits (growing up with "eat, the children in Europe are starving") post WWII thinking was probably the thinking behind it. Being chubby meant that you were healthy. .

Diffently understand what your saying there with the clean your plate, "Why your just skin and bones" pressure.

That was enforced in my family as a kid, as well as the classic Mcdonalds generation of children, Mom had a job, so we replaced dinner with take out.

I can make my goal!

Push forward

I'm one who's always been overweight or obese - I've never been a "typical" or "average" size. I'm only 23, but I'm tired of hating the way my body looks, all the fat rolls, and never having been able to wear latest fashions. I've never been comfortable in sleeveless shirts, although I'd LOVE to wear them... and I'd like to wear a skirt that a) comes a little above the knee (right now I have fat surrounding the kneecaps) and b) so that my thighs don't chafe...

I've already been through a rollercoaster of weights at my age... I was 175 in the last year of high school and got down to 145 by my graduation... weight slowly rose to around 170 over the next 3 years and then I lost 25-30 lbs during the summer between years 3 and 4 of undergrad... weight again rose all through my graduate degree and I've reached my highest weight of 200.2 the last two weeks.

At the height of 5'3.

Right now I'm job hunting and feeling pretty depressed, so it's really hard to exercise and diet... I've hit a bit of a roadblock even though I was sooooo motivated in April when I was recovering from surgery...

It's really hard. I try not to think about the fact I'm trying to lose 75 or 80 lbs. Since I've never been a healthy weight, I have no idea what my eventual goal is... but 120-125 seems to be the range... I just want to fit into 8s, maybe some 6s, and be toned... I'm young, I can dream.

I think right now I know I need to lose weight... and I have an entire closet of clothes from sizes 8 - 17... but I'm having trouble finding my motivation... I want to fit into those size 8s... but it's not helping me lose the weight. I thought 200.2 would be a breaking point for me, but that's not doing it either...

Wondering what you women do to motivate yourselves to lose the weight? Hoping that something will pop out help me to get back on the wagon.
    CurvesForum Moderator

Results

Loss (5.2 lbs)
    Start |-------------------------------------------------------------| Goal

Thread Information