Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tryed to cancel membership

dip/shrug

Angry Tryed to cancel membership

I joined curves March 11,2005 and chose to pre-pay for the year . The cost was $313.00. I went in to cancel and talked with the owner. At first she said I owed her $77.40 to cancel and I said that I had prepaid. She then said I would be refunded $130.50. I went in 0n 8/31/05.

I called on Friday to see if my check had been mailed and an employee checked with the owner and told me it had. I called back on wed. and spoke with the owner and she said I should have received it.I dicussed with her that the check must have been lost and could she put a stop on it and reissue me another one . She agreed and I was to pick it up the next day.

I went in to curves and a envelope was on the counter for me. I opened it when I got in my car. Wow what a surprise I got.

Let me say this when I joined I was not given a copy of my contract that I signed.

I received three different things. The first was a letter telling me that she had contacted her attorney and he informed her that she was under no obligation to reimburse me any funds.But that she sent to me on 8/31/05 a check for $40.00. A cancellation fee was charged for cancellation prior to 12 months.

The next letter was a paper telling me that I had paid in full for 1yr in the amount of $313.00 and that I was caneling my membership prior to a 1yr commitment.The following is a break down on reimbursement.
    march-aug 26.10 per month paid, sept 26.10 paid -30day cancellation notice.
    You did not complete your 12 month contract so there is a $12.90 per month used charge. The $12.90 is the difference between a monthly membership at $39.00and your discounted membership.
    (39x7=$273, $313.00-$273 = $40.00)

The third letter was a copy of my contract . Under service fees /1st month dues she wrote in $29.00 and then marked it out and wrote Amt paid $313.00. Under the membership options she crossed it out. But when she mailed a copy of the contact to me she highlighted the part about monthly draft. This does not apply to me I paid in full.

I told her that since I was only getting $40.00 back that I was not cancelling my membership. Still havent received a check from her. But if I do I told her I would return it to her.

Do you have any input for me on this ??????

From what I understand, even though you prepaid for the year, once you cancel prior to the end of your contract, you are charged the difference between a monthly contract and a yearly contract. And since you prepaid at an even larger discount, you are paying the difference between your discount and the monthly fee of $39. So, it looks to me like those figures are correct. But then I'm not an owner or an employee, I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable ladies will give better insight.

You might also try doing a search for cancellation. Those threads I've read regarding the subject seem very similar.
    Ette Please let me be the person my cat thinks I am.

181 pennies = 1 lb $1.81 x 0 lbs lost = $0 in my "Transformation Account"

I know you probably don't want to hear this but as a business owner (Not a Curves) but another business, I feel the owner of your Curves did the right thing. There is no reason why you should be able to take advantage of the discounted rate when you didn't stay for the contracted time. Therefore it also sounds to me like the $40 is what she owes you. Hope you get this straightened out.

Good Luck

Unhappy Not what you want to hear

As a Manager of a club, I can tell you that the owner of the club is completely correct. The fees charged for a yearly membrship are based on the discounted rate but if you cancel prior to your yearly contract end date, they have every right to charge you the difference from a check draft price to a month to month price. I am sure this isn't what you wanted to hear, but its the way the contract and cancellation policy both work.
    "Even if you are on the right path, you will get nowhere if you just stand there.

I'm glad that you're going to not go through with the cancellation after all, and hope that you'll be able to find time for you so you can get the benefits from working out.

I'm curious, though. Why were you originally looking to cancel? Perhaps someone here can provide some insight that may be more helpful to you than us appearing to gang up on you on the side of the owner?

((I do have to go along with the others and say that's how we do it at the Curves I work at, too. People who joined at a discount forfeit the discount if/when they cancel.))

dip/shrug
    Thanks for all the input. The reason I was going to cancel was due to personal reasons. I just want to say that the owner of my local curves is a great person and I am going to continue working out starting next week.
    Thanks again for the input.

At the club where I work, pre-pays are not allowed to cancel. Period. (The only exception being a medical condition, permanently imparing them, in which case there is no cancellation fee, just a pro-rated refund of the undused portion of the membership).

New members are told this upon joining. Pre-pay at our club is strictly a "use it or lose it" deal.

Angry Tried to Cancel Also

I have fufilled my initial 1 year contract and was on a month-to-month basis until I was injured (plantar's fasciitis- most likely due to working out at Curves). I have been on "medical leave" under the club's "policy" and not paying monthly fees. While on "medical leave", I have decided to cancel my membership because I think Curves is the cause of my injury. I provided the required written notice. Now, the club's owner says the medical leave is a "courtesy" not a "policy" and I am required to pay for the "final" month. They are saying this even though I am currently under a doctor's care and not even allowed to walk my dog, much less go to Curves! It's sickening that their treatment of me depends on if I'm going to return as a paying customer.

I guess that don't have any "goodwill" as an asset on their books!

Well, the manager of my location finally talked some sense into the owners--realizing that the small amount of financial gain wasn't worth the damage to their reputation. They also didn't have an explicit clause in my contract that covered this situation. I still won't go back.
    Last edited by Angel61; 01-31-2006 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Update

Wink

Did you sign a cancellation policy? I know at the Curves I manage, all members sign one when they sign their contract and it clearly states in the cancellation policy that "the member may cancel with no fees if they have written documentation from a physician." You might want to check this out.
    "Even if you are on the right path, you will get nowhere if you just stand there.

Ladyemtd, my contract did have a medical clause but it only covered complete disability. I should eventually recover from this, but the timeframe cannot be determined. There is nothing in the written contract to cover a "medical hold" or "medical leave" and what will happen if the client chooses to terminate membership during this time and the original term of the membership had already been completed. In fact, after rereading the contract, there is no language that covers medical termination after the initial contract term.

My contention is that they entered into an oral contract with me not to charge any fees while I was medically unable to exercise. If I choose to terminate while not being charged, I can find no written nor oral agreement made to pay a termination fee or the monthly fee.

Anyway, the manager convinced the owners that the fight wasn't worth it.

Thread Information