Thread: Ice Water Vs. Room Temperature!

Ice Water Vs. Room Temperature!

I wanted to share this interesting article to those who might be interested.
    ~carter

QUESTION:

Hi Tom, I recently got your BURN THE FAT program, the results are unreal, and you really are a credit to the fitness industry. Just wondering if I drink ice cold water on top of all the
    things you have taught me, will it slightly help boost my metabolism even more? I heard that ice cold water instead of normal water has to be warmed up by the stomach and this takes 95 calories. Could you shed some light on this?

Rob W.
    UK

ANSWER:

I've heard that about the ice cold water too, and the first time I heard it, my gut reaction was, "what a bunch of hooey!" But being the inquiring mind that I am, I asked a couple of my
    scientifically and academically inclined associates and they both told me that in theory - yes - some energy will be expended to bring the ice water up to body temperature.

However, what sounds good in theory and is apparently scientifically accurate doesn't always pan out in the real world. I've never seen or heard of anyone who increased their fat loss in any measurable degree by drinking ice cold water in the hopes that it would speed
    up metabolism.

Co-incidentally, most health and fitness organizations do have guidelines for hydration that include the desirable temperature of the water: The National Strength & Conditioning Association says, "Cool water is an ideal fluid replacement." (About 50-70 degrees Fahrenheit / 10-21 degrees Celsius)

In the American College of Sports Medicine's (ACSM) position stand on exercise and fluid replacement, it says,

"It is recommended that ingested fluids be cooler than ambient temperature (between 15 degrees and 22 degrees Celsius / 59 degrees and 72 degrees Fahrenheit) to enhance palpability and promote fluid replacement."

Translation: Cool water "tastes" better and will tend to make you want to drink more than if you drank room temperature or warmer water, so you'll stay better hydrated. (Cool water also increases gastric emptying compared to room temperature water)

No where in these position papers from the most reputable agencies does it say, "Be sure to drink ice cold water because you'll get six pack abs faster that way."

I'm a big believer that details do matter and little things can certainly add up, but sometimes focusing on minutia can reach the point of ridiculousness. Chewing gum and fidgeting
    to burn extra calories would fall into this category as well.

The ironic thing is, many very popular diet programs are created entirely on the basis of one little point that has a small shred of scientific validity... just enough to "sound logical." That's
    what I call focusing on the "trivial many versus the important few." I can just see it now... "The Ice Water Diet...." or.... "Fidget Your Way To A Fit Physique!" New York Times
    Best Sellers- !

Quote Originally Posted by carter
    I'm a big believer that details do matter and little things can certainly add up, but sometimes focusing on minutia can reach the point of ridiculousness. Chewing gum and fidgeting to burn extra calories would fall into this category as well.

The ironic thing is, many very popular diet programs are created entirely on the basis of one little point that has a small shred of scientific validity... just enough to "sound logical." That's what I call focusing on the "trivial many versus the important few." I can just see it now... "The Ice Water Diet...." or.... "Fidget Your Way To A Fit Physique!" New York Times Best Sellers!

I can see it now, too!

Thanks for sharing.

N~

Thanks for sharing! I've heard that before too, and now I don't feel so bad for just having cold water from the fountain. I really don't like ice cubes, unless I'm drinking with a straw. I even will have a room-temp soda in lieu of having to add ice cubes!
    Ette Please let me be the person my cat thinks I am.

181 pennies = 1 lb $1.81 x 0 lbs lost = $0 in my "Transformation Account"

Yuck. I love ice. My poor husband has seriously considered adding a soda fountain to our house because I'm always sending him to the store. Ice cubes from the fridge and a 2 liter just aren't the same.

I really need to get back to drinking my water.

n

Funny, I find that if i don't add ice to my water I drink more water.
    Marla

Check out my weigh loss journal in my profile!

Thread Information